What Is Physiotherapy?
Physiotherapy is a primary health care profession which helps to restore, maintain and maximize your strength and physical function, and improve your overall well-being. Physiotherapy uses a wide range of assessment and treatment techniques for problems in joints, nerves, muscles, bones, cartilage, tendons and ligaments.
Our physiotherapists can pinpoint the root cause of an injury and/or the multiple factors involved in movement dysfunction and chronic pain. We start with a thorough examination to find the underlying cause of symptoms and then proceed with the most effective treatment techniques. This usually includes specific advice and exercises for the home and a new sense of movement awareness which helps avoid the problem recurring and assist in recovery As manual practitioners, we can help facilitate the body’s own healing mechanisms by removing barriers that inhibit recovery and optimize the healing response.
When should you see a physiotherapist?
As Physiotherapists and Advance Movement Therapists, we train the brain and body to communicate and move optimally again so as to prevent recurrence of the injury and getting you back to your sport/activity quickly.
A change in your ability to move and function is a common reason people seek the help of a physiotherapist. These changes may be due to a recent injury, surgery, onset of pain or due to chronic pain. However, physiotherapists are not only skilled at rehabilitation, they are also skilled at the prevention of injury. So instead of waiting for discomfort to change into a loss of function, you would benefit from the help of a skilled and registered Physiotherapist.
These treatments include amongst others:
- Manual (‘Hands On’) Therapy
- Physical/Electro-Therapeutic Agents (e.g. ultrasound, electric current, heat, ice, etc)
- Exercise, Movement Therapy
- Pre- and Post-Surgical Physiotherapy
- Ergonomic Education/Advice
- Taping Techniques (including Kinesio-taping, postural and sports specific taping)
- Dry Needling (IMS or IMT)
- Pulsed Electromagnetic Therapy (PEMF)
As a Patient at COMPHYSIO:
- You work ‘One-on-One’ with the Physiotherapist
- You will be assessed AND treated in the first session
- You will be educated on your injury and learn how to move better
- You will receive advice and exercises for home to help the treatment to be more effective and to help avoid recurrence
- You will not be rushed through your appointments
We use an innovative & movement based approach to give you a precise, personalized, and complete treatment plan. Our goal is to get you back to doing what you love, and maintain optimum mobility and performance for all of life!
Physiotherapy can make a difference in your ability to live an active, healthy lifestyle. For more information, request an appointment from COMPHYSIO today!
Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page to explore questions regarding your pain or treatment at COMPHYSIO.