Neck Pain Relief in Barrie, ON
Get Neck Pain Relief with Our Proven Physiotherapy Techniques
Do you experience pain or discomfort while sitting in your desk chair at work, tilting your head down to tie your shoes, or while trying to find a comfortable position to sleep in at night? If so, physiotherapy can help.
The Work Wellness and Disability Prevention Institute (WWDP) states that “Neck pain is very common. It is estimated that by middle age, between 30% to 50% of people will have an episode of neck pain within a one year period. At any given time, between 1.7% and 11.5% of people report that their usual activities are limited due to neck pain. Neck pain is more prevalent among women and in middle age. Risk factors for neck pain include genetics, poor psychological health, and exposure to tobacco.” The neck is an integral part of your everyday movements, and neck pain can create undesirable challenges on daily tasks you can usually complete with ease. If left untreated, neck pain can lead to some serious conditions, and surgical correction may even be needed.
If you have been experiencing neck pain, don’t hesitate to schedule a consultation with one of our Barrie physiotherapists today. Concept of Movement can help treat all the pains in your neck!
Why am I experiencing neck pain?
Neck pain is commonly felt from the base of the skull to the top of your shoulder blades, settling in the back of the neck. Neck pain can vary from mild to severe and can be dull, constant aches, or sharp and stabbing pains. Additional symptoms that can accompany neck pain include:
- Muscle stiffness and tightness in the upper body;
- Numbness or tingling;
- Discomfort and pain when remaining in the same position for too long;
- Inability to fully stand up or sit up straight;
- Arm weakness;
- Loss of sleep due to pain and discomfort.
There are several conditions that may lead to neck pain. Damage to the tissues or bone structures in the neck is the leading cause of neck pain. This damage can occur from a sudden injury or develop over time from repetitive overuse. Certain degenerative diseases may also lead to neck pain.
Some of the most common causes of neck pain include:
- Injuries. Whiplash is one of the most common injuries resulting in neck pain. It is referred to as “strain” injury, due to the rapid back-and-forth motion that the neck experiences. Whiplash is most commonly sustained in car accidents or high-impact sport collisions, and it affects the soft tissues in the back of the neck.
- Muscle strains. Overuse can cause the muscles in the back of your neck to become strained. Even something as simple as sitting at your desk all day with your neck craned toward the computer screen can lead to a strain in your neck muscles.
- Nerve compression. If you have a herniated disc in your neck, the nerves that branch out from your spinal cord can become compressed. In some cases, nerve pain can even result in “radiculopathy,” which is a condition where pain extends from your neck all the way down to your hands and fingers.
- Joint degeneration. Any joint in your body is susceptible to age-related erosion, and your neck is no exception. Conditions such as osteoarthritis can also reduce the cartilage between the vertebrae in the neck, which can result in moderate to severe pain.
- Illnesses. Certain diseases and ailments can result in neck pain, such as rheumatoid arthritis, meningitis, or even cancer.
Treating Neck Pain with Physiotherapy in Barrie
Physiotherapy is the best method of treatment if you are looking for a safe and effective option for your neck pain. At Concept of Movement, our physiotherapists are highly trained in evaluating your neck to discover where the pain is originating from and looking for any additional concerns. After your evaluation is complete, our physiotherapist will create a personalized treatment plan for your specific needs to help relieve your neck pain quickly.
Manual therapy is a common treatment method for neck pain, which consists of special techniques designed to reduce the stiffness of your neck and improve its range of motion. Our physiotherapist will also provide you with targeted exercises and stretches, aimed at building, strengthening, and improving the muscles and tissues in your neck. Additional treatment methods may be added into your treatment plan as our physiotherapist deems fit, including ice and heat therapies, electrical stimulation, or ultrasound.
Don’t let neck pain limit your life any longer – contact our Barrie physiotherapy office today to schedule your consultation. Get started on the path toward recovery and experience neck pain relief with Concept of Movement Physiotherapy & Performance Wellness!